Lincoln College was founded by Richard Fleming, Bishop of Lincoln, in 1427, and named after his cathedral as 'The College of the Blessed Mary and All Saints', Lincoln, in the University of Oxford, commonly called Lincoln College'.
Fleming's foundation is still one of the least spoilt legacies of the Middle Ages, straddling Turl Street in the heart of the city and university. The College's comparative poverty in past centuries has had a happy result that the original pattern and fabric can still be seen with many interiors almost unaltered.
In recent decades the historic core of the College has been extended into the neighbouring streets and areas so that it has been able to cope with the expanding demands of a modern university. But for the visitor its main focus will remain its ancient and beautifully preserved original buildings.