Lincoln College

Support for Students with Disabilities


Lincoln welcomes applications from students with disabilities. Applicants are strongly encouraged to disclose, in confidence, the details of their disability as early as possible. This will allow us to provide appropriate support at interview, and if you are offered a place, throughout your time here.

The University and the Colleges subsrcribe to a Common Framework for Supporting Disabled Students. You can read it here. The Disability Lead for Lincoln College is the Senior Tutor, Dr Louise Durning. She oversees the provision of support for students with disabilities in the College. The Disability Co-ordinator is the Academic Administrator, this job is shared between Mrs Jemma Underdown and Ms Lisa Stokes-King. You can contact them on their shared email address The Disability Co-ordinators have responsibility for monitoring day-to-day support and maintain liaison with students and with the Disability Advisory Service of the University. Prospective Applicants should contact the Admissions Officer to discuss their needs; current students should contact the Academic Administrator.

Accommodation and Access

Lincoln's main site consists of ancient listed buildings so inevitably not every room can be made accessible to those with mobility problems. However, the Lodge, Hall, JCR and Deep Hall (the College Bar) and, from 2014-15, the MCR, are fully accessible to wheelchair users, as are a number of teaching rooms. The ground floor of the  Library is accessible  and library staff are on hand to collect and deliver books from inaccessible areas. We can offer several ground floor ensuite study-bedrooms  for those with mobility difficulties, and have one ensuite study-bedroom on the main site fully adapted for wheelchair users. We also have a number of wheel-chair compatible ensuite study-bedrooms on the first- and second-floors of the graduate EPA centre.

Academic Support and Funding

Alternative arrangements can be made for students with a medical condition or disability (including dyslexia, dyspraxia and other specific learning difficulties) in their day to day studies and in their examinations. The former may include specialist IT equipment or a helper to take lecture notes and fetch library books; the latter extra time or permission to use a word processor. Students may also be given a mentor to provide non-academic support and guidance.

UK students can apply for a Disabled Student Allowance . Overseas students should contact the Academic Administrator. The Disability Advisory Service provides more information about applying for funding and the kinds of funded support that are available.

Further Information

The Disability Advisory Service provides information and guidance to the whole University, and their pages contain comprehensive advice about the support available and how it can be obtained.