A residential centre for graduate studies on a site given originally to the College by Emily Carr in 1436, was completed to the design of Geoffrey Beard in 1977. Subsequent developments have greatly expanded student accommodation between High Street and Bear Lane, the final stages having been completed in 1995. The resulting complex of buildings includes many historic features. One of the most notable is the Painted Room, displaying sixteenth-century panelling and frescoes. It was once part of an historic Oxford inn, the Crown, where Shakespeare visited and Davenant was born.